How to get rid of cat pee smell. Your cat, no matter how polite, can sometimes pee outside that litter box that you prepared with so much care for him to relieve himself. If you want to know how to eliminate the smell of cat pee, here are some practical tricks. It often occurs when cats are puppies, due to inexperience.
Also, adult felines, whether due to illness, age, or some other reason and, from time to time, can leave their urine in different places in the house, such as the floor, the carpet, or the furniture. Stress also prompts them to mark.
The smell of cat pee is not exactly a pleasant fragrance. Rather, it could be described as a very strong ammonia smell, which is also very corrosive. So you have to get to work quickly to remove all traces of the effluvium and its bacteria.
6 tricks on how to get rid of cat pee smell
First, provide yourself with the necessary cleaning arsenal and a pinch of order, patience, and perseverance. At the end of the job, there will be no stinky trace left and your nose will thank you with relief. Remember to always put on latex gloves before starting each task.
Prepare the basic material to clean your cat’s pee:
- Absorbent paper
- 1 soft cloth or sponge
- White vinegar
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Liquid soap
- Vacuum cleaner
- Rubber gloves
- Odor neutralizer
Dry the pee with absorbent paper:
With the help of kitchen paper, absorb as soon as possible as much urine as possible; then, depending on the area where your cat has decided to leave its trail, opt for one remedy or another.
3. Eliminate bad smell in vertical areas:
Walls, furniture, and all kinds of vertical belongings are the object of attraction for cats eager to mark the area with their urine. Take note of the proportions you will need and the procedure to follow to banish the bad smell of pee from your cat.
- ½ cup (50 ml) of hydrogen peroxide.
- ½ cup of baking soda (always keep the ratio between hydrogen peroxide and bicarbonate).
- 1 teaspoon dishwasher safe.
- Pour these three substances into a container and mix them.
- Dampen a soft cloth or sponge in this solution and gently rub the area affected by the urine in a circular motion.
- Rinse with hot water.
Deodorizes delicate surfaces
Banishes from the gaseous stream the compounds that cause bad odors from furniture and other delicate surfaces.
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and water.
- Gently rub the area with the help of a sponge.
- If you see that it does not remit, repeat the process again
5. Treat fabrics and carpets:
Whenever possible it is better to wash fabrics and carpets, but if the bad smell of cat pee continues to impregnate, try the following remedy .
- First, check the label on the fabrics to read the laundry recommendations.
- Pour ½ cup of vinegar into a container.
- Add another ½ cup of water.
- Dip a sponge in this solution.
- Wring the sponge well and clean the fence where your cat has left his urine.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Apply baking soda to the fabric.
- Let it work for a few minutes.
- Remove the baking soda with a small mixture, equal parts hydrogen peroxide, and liquid soap.
- Vacuum up the remaining baking soda.
Before applying this trick, check the solution in a hidden area of the affected garment to prevent irreversible damage.
Remove the bad smell of pee from your cat’s litter box
When it comes to eliminating the smell of the sandbox, daily cleaning is the best strategy you can use since in this way you will avoid the accumulation of urine and bacteria; If you also apply an odor neutralizer, which contains active bacteria capable of degrading organic matter, it will be a pleasure to approach your cat’s litter box.
- Use water and liquid soap.
- Once the sandbox is clean and dry, add a thin layer of pine sawdust to the bottom of the box.
- Put the sand that you use regularly.
- Apply the odor neutralizer.